Doing Business In Dayton
Dayton is a friendly small historic town located right in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, directly located on Route 42, with easy access to Route 11 and Interstate 81, making it the perfect place to own and operate any type of business, from retail to industrial. Dayton is a great destination, with its unique locally owned shops and restaurants downtown and many specialty shops at The Dayton Market, which has been a shopping destination since 1987. Dayton is also well known for its annual Autumn Celebration better known as “Dayton Days”, where artisans and crafters from all over host a festival that is attended by tens of thousands of visitors.
Opening a Business in Dayton
Opening a business is an exciting time. We are happy to assist you to make certain all requirements specific to your business are met prior to your opening. We recommend contacting the Town’s zoning office, prior to signing a lease or purchasing property.
A business license is required to operate in the Town of Dayton. Hard copy applications are available at Town Hall. The application will be reviewed by the zoning administrator to assure business use is allowed in the desired location.
Dependent on the type of business, there may be other requirements including taxes and licenses, so please visit our License Fees and Taxes page for more information. We look forward to assisting you.
Helpful Links and Resources
- Learn more about Virginia One Stop, a step-by-step tutorial for business in Virginia.
- The Small Business Development Center offers free business counseling and classes.
- The Harrisonburg/Rockingham County Chamber of Commerce offers grants and assistance for businesses located in Dayton.
- The Small Business Guidance and Loan Resources offers free counseling for small businesses and loan opportunities.
- The U.S. Department of Treasury is offering assistance for small businesses with paycheck protection loans.
- Town of Dayton Business Newsletter current edition.
- Rockingham County Economic Development
- Virginia Tourism Corporation
- Shenandoah Valley Partnerships
- Rebuild Virginia Small Business Grant Program is aimed at helping small businesses and non-profits whose normal operations were disrupted by COVID-19, including restaurants, brick and mortar retail, exercise and fitness facilities, personal care and personal grooming services, entertainment and public amusement establishments, and campgrounds. Click here for more information and to find application forms.
- The Facade Enhancement Grant is a program funded by the Dayton Town Council. It is intended to incentivize property owners within the B-1 Zoning District to make improvements to the exterior of their buildings and properties to improve the aesthetic quality and historic preservation of the community. For more information and an application, click here.